Working with JobCoachAmy is a learning experience, and our journey starts now. Always ask questions!
Why Do I need a Job Coach
Your college, your friends and your parents all want to help. But your career center doesn’t have the capacity to work with you as closely as I can, and your friends’ advice may be worth what it costs. As for your parents, remember when they tried to teach you to drive?
You’re smart. You’re savvy. You’re going to take the world by storm. But first you need to learn some basic skills that no one has ever taught you. Working together, we can figure out what is out there for you and how you can get it.
My guiding principles are:
- There are always good jobs for good people.
- When your job search is done right, it can be energizing and should yield dividends far into the future.
- With the right fit, a job can be one of life’s most rewarding and meaningful experiences.
What Does JobCoachAmy Do Exactly?
I’m in this to help you get and keep a job that makes you happy. Each job search process is customized according to specific, agreed-upon goals. I coach my clients through a formal methodology that starts with career discovery and lasts through their first performance review in their new job. With my help, clients make the and become successful in what they do.
How Did You Become JobCoachAmy?
I went to a good college and earned a good GPA. My first resume was filled with college leadership roles and part-time business experience. I had ambition, drive and enthusiasm. I had seminars at my college career center, books on how to write a resume, and a skirt suit. I did everything I was supposed to do- and I could not get a job after graduation. It felt that after 21 years of working hard at everything that I was supposed to do, I’d come to an abyss. Slowly, after a year of temp work and a lot of cereal, I found my way to a career. As it turned out, I had everything I needed the whole time - I just didn’t know it. This experience inspired a passion in me to provide the resources I wish that I had then.
What Qualifies You To Be A Job Coach?
I have had a successful and rewarding 25+year career in business. As a manager and executive, I’ve interviewed hundreds of candidates, and both hired and managed dozens. As a management consultant, I’ve analyzed hundreds of job roles and what makes people successful in them. I’ve been privileged to work in a wide variety of industries, from non-regulated energy production to cell phone marketing to low-income housing. As a result, I know a lot about what kinds of jobs there are, and what kind of skills are required in them. I work exclusively with young adults starting their careers. My own transition from college to career was difficult. Yours doesn’t have to be. Regardless of where you are in your job search, I can help. Executives across a wide range of industries and functions have relied on my insight to meet their objectives. You can too.
How Do We Work Together?
- Our initial conference will take about two hours. Please bring or send everything you have done in your job search up to this point.
- Be prepared to talk about what you think you want from a career and why.
- I will give you an exercise to complete that lets me know what you enjoy doing and why, as well as tells me the skills in which you have confidence.
- We then work together to build your “story” or “elevator pitch” that will allow you to turn every encounter into a potential networking opportunity.
- We target three industries and/or functions where we know you would both add value and enjoy the work.
- Together, we track the job boards to apply “reactively” to posted opportunities. I also teach you to network “proactively” for jobs that could be filled before they are posted.
- We have weekly goals that help push your search forward and remind you that you are making progress.